As previously announced in August 2015, VYSA and US Youth Soccer, along with other youth soccer sanctioning bodies, will be implementing the U.S. Soccer Federation’s birth-year registration mandates on Aug. 1, 2016*.
This means that beginning Aug. 1, 2016* all of VYSA’s State sponsored competitions including the Virginia State Cup (National Championship Series), National League, Olympic Development Program and Region 1 Champions League will be based on age group cutoffs of January 1. One addition to the previously announced “labels” in the replacement of U-19 with U-19/20 as noted below. VYSA Sanctioned Tournaments will also follow these birth year labels for tournaments beginning 8/1/2016.
- Beginning Aug. 1, 2016*, VYSA will be using the following birth-year “labels” for competition, based upon the season in which competition ends. For example:
- Players born from August 1, 1997 – December 31, 1998 will be labeled as Under-19/20s.
- Players born from January 1, 1999 – December 31, 1999 will be labeled as Under-18s.
- Players born from January 1, 2000 – December 31, 2000 will be labeled as Under-17s.
- Players born from January 1, 2001 – December 31, 2001 will be labeled as Under-16s.
- Players born from January 1, 2002 – December 31, 2002 will be labeled as Under-15s.
- Players born from January 1, 2003 – December 31, 2003 will be labeled as Under-14s.
- Players born from January 1, 2004 – December 31, 2004 will be labeled as Under-13s.
- Players born from January 1, 2005 - December 31, 2005 will be labeled as Under-12s.
This chart provides the birth year age groups as provided to VYSA by U.S. Soccer.
Please note the U19/20 age group is defined above and not included on this chart.